This course guides students through the fundamentals of using IBM SPSS Statistics for typical data analysis process. Students will learn the basics of reading data, data definition, data modification, and data analysis and presentation of analytical results. Students will also see how easy it is to get data into IBM SPSS Statistics so that they can focus on analyzing the information. In addition to the fundamentals, students will learn shortcuts that will help them save time. This course uses the IBM SPSS Statistics Base features.
Course Length: 2 day(s)
Course Price: $1720 CAD
Available Course Formats:
- Instructor Led Online
- Self-Paced Virtual Classroom
1. Introduction to IBM SPSS Statistics
- Review basic concepts in IBM SPSS Statistics
- Identify the steps in the research process
- Review basic analyses
- Use Help
2. Read data and define metadata
- Overview of data sources
- Read data from databases
- Read data from Microsoft Excel
- Define variable properties
3. Transform variables
- Compute new variables
- Recode values of nominal, ordinal, and scale variables
- Create a numeric variable from a string variable
- Explore advanced variable transformations
4. Use functions to compute variables
- Use statistical functions
- Use logical functions
- Use missing value functions
- Use conversion functions
- Use system variables
- Use the Data and Time Wizard
5. Set the unit of analysis
- Remove duplicate cases
- Create aggregated datasets
- Restructure datasets
6. Merge data files
- Add cases from one dataset to another
- Add variables from one dataset to another
- Enrich a dataset with aggregated information
7. Select cases for analyses
- Select case for an analysis
- Run analyses for subgroups
8. Summarize individual variables
- Define levels of measurement
- Summarizing categorical variables with Frequencies
- Summarizing scale variables with Frequencies and Descriptives
9. Describe relationship between variables
- Select the appropriate procedure to summarize the relationship between two variables
- Summarize the relationship between categorical variables with Crosstabs
- Summarize the relationship between a scale and a categorical variable with Means
10. Create presentation-ready tables with Custom Tables
- Identify table layouts
- Create tables for variables with shared categorical
- Create tables for variables that represent a multiple response question
11. Customize pivot tables
- Perform Automated Output Modification
- Customize pivot tables in the Pivot Table Editor
- Use table templates
- Export pivot tables to other applications
12. Create and customize charts
- Use the Chart Builder to create various types of graphs
- Customize charts in the Chart Editor
- Use chart templates
- Export pivot tables to other applications
13. Work with syntax
- Use syntax to automate analyses
- Use the Syntax Editor environment
- Create and edit syntax
- Run syntax
14. Control the IBM SPSS Statistics environment
- Describe the features of the Options dialog box
- Reset the display of variables
- Set the default working data folders
- Anyone with little or no experience in using IBM SPSS Statistics.
- Anyone who is new to using a statistical package for data analysis.
- Anyone who is considering purchasing IBM SPSS Statistics.
- Experience with IBM SPSS Statistics is not necessary, though a basic understanding of purpose and functions of the software is helpful.
- No statistical background is necessary.
Instructor Led In Classroom
Newcomp can directly deliver IBM Business Analytics courses for Business Intelligence, Performance Management, and IBM Advanced Analytics through the use of in-class training facilities.
Currently, in-class courses are offered in Markham, Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax, and Edmonton. Please note that classes can be added to new areas based on demand.
Instructor Led Online
Students receive the same quality as an in-class course, with a live instructor and the ability to participate in hands-on labs through real-life examples
ILOs help cut costs by reducing time and travel as they can be taken from home or the office and require only the use of a computer, high-speed wired internet and a headset.
Students can receive the same high-quality training, with the same courseware at their own speed and schedule with SPVC. Individuals with busy schedules can complete a course over a 30-day timeframe at a lower price than in-class or ILO courses. Please note that there is no live interaction with an instructor in this format.