You must be a registered/logged in user to have an ability to manage your wishlist. Register/login here.
This course is designed to guide professional report authors in building on their experience with Report Studio by applying multidimensional techniques to reports. Through interactive demos and workshops, students will learn how to author reports that navigate and manipulate dimensional data structures using the specific dimensional functions and features available in Report Studio.
Course Length: 2 day(s)
Course Price: $1400 CAD
Available Course Formats:
- Instructor Led Online
- Self-Paced Virtual Classroom
Introduction to Dimensional Concepts
- Identify different data sources and models
- Investigate the OLAP dimensional structure
- Identify dimensional data items and expressions
- Differentiate the IBM Cognos BI query language from SQL and MDX
- Differentiate relational and dimensional report authoring styles
Introduction to Dimensional Data in Reports
- Work with members
- Identify sets and tuples in Report Studio
Dimensional Report Context
- Understand the purpose of report context
- Understand how data is affected by default and root members
Focus Your Dimensional Data
- Compare dimensional queries to relational queries
- Explain the importance of filtering dimensional queries
- Evaluate different filtering techniques
- Filter based on dimensions and members
- Filter based on measure values
- Filter using a slicer
- Dynamically filter using a tree prompt
Calculations and Dimensional Functions
- Use IBM Cognos BI dimensional functions to create sets and tuples
- Perform arithmetic operations in OLAP queries
- Identify coercion errors and rules
Functions for Navigating Dimensional Hierarchies
- Navigate dimensional data using family functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative time functions
Advanced Drilling Techniques and Member Sets
- Understand default drill-up and drill-down functionality
- Identify cases when you need to override default drilling behaviour
- Configure advanced drilling behaviour to support sophisticated use cases
- Define member sets to support advanced drilling
- Define member sets to support functions
Set Up Drill-Through Reports
- Navigate from a specific report to a target report
- Drill down to greater detail and then navigate to target report
- Navigate between reports created using different data sources
- Review concepts covered throughout the course
This advanced course is for Professional Report Authors working with dimensional data sources.
You should have:
- Completed IBM Cognos Report Studio: Author Professional Reports Fundamentals (v10.2.2)
- Knowledge of your business requirements
- Basic knowledge of dimensional data
- Experience using basic Windows and Web functionality
Instructor Led In Classroom
Newcomp can directly deliver IBM Business Analytics courses for Business Intelligence, Performance Management, and IBM Advanced Analytics through the use of in-class training facilities.
Currently, in-class courses are offered in Markham, Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax, and Edmonton. Please note that classes can be added to new areas based on demand.
Instructor Led Online
Students receive the same quality as an in-class course, with a live instructor and the ability to participate in hands-on labs through real-life examples
ILOs help cut costs by reducing time and travel as they can be taken from home or the office and require only the use of a computer, high-speed wired internet and a headset.
Students can receive the same high-quality training, with the same courseware at their own speed and schedule with SPVC. Individuals with busy schedules can complete a course over a 30-day timeframe at a lower price than in-class or ILO courses. Please note that there is no live interaction with an instructor in this format.
B5A58G – IBM Cognos Report Studio: Author Professional Reports Fundamentals
N0RSF – Cognos Report Studio Fundamentals
Focusing on relationally-modeled data, students will be introduced to Lists, Crosstabs and Charts as well as interactive features such as prompts and report-to-report drill through. During the course, students will also learn how to add advanced formatting to the objects in their reports and apply conditional styles and rendering.